Monday, March 29, 2010

Appointment in Honeygrove

Feeling some anxiety about riding across the country to meet up with folks I've never met, LOL, I went for a day-long ride today. Today was the perfect day to head out and stay out for awhile. I headed for my favorite diner via 60 miles of backroads. Once fed and rested, I wasn't done. When thinking about the route home I decided to go out farther before turning the front wheel towards home. Ever seen my "Bugtussle, Texas" pic? Well that's where I headed, about 20 miles farther north. I knew it was a ghost town, or a ghost building in this case, so I planned a pit stop at the only gas station in the nearest current town to Bugtussle, Honeygrove. Inside I found a fellow biker who engaged me in bike talk. I invited him to Ride for Breast Cancer, but no soap. I said my good-byes and headed out the door to reunite with the bike. In the parking lot a man approached me asking about the Ride for Breast Cancer he had heard me speak of inside. As we talked, he shared that he lost his wife to aggressive breast cancer 2 months ago. We talked more. I finally asked him for her name so that she could ride with me on the Ride. Since I could not find a pen, I always have one, we walked to his truck. He took 2 of my Conga cards, one to keep and one to write Diane's full name on. I shook his hand, thanked him and hastened to the bike. I pulled the helmet on, slammed the face shield down and burst into tears. I had a divine appointment in Honeygrove with a man named David, whom I'd never met. David if you are reading this, Diane's name in your handwriting will be riding in a safe place on the bike all the way to Cheyenne and all the way home. Thank you for taking the effort to stop me and talk a bit. I will never forget our meeting.

1 comment:

Flo said...

Marvelous Darling, these are the stories I hear all the time. What a nice thing you did.
Love ya , can't wait to ride with you and give you a huge big hug..
Thanks for all you are doing!!!