Monday, June 14, 2010

Too good not to share

Why do we have a fire for the Conga? Because breast cancer hits our friends and family. Tomorrow we have a TV interview about the Conga. The reporter called me this morning and asked if there was anyone I could invite to the shoot who has been impacted by the cause. I put the word out, but without much success, so I shot an email to our very own "Vegas" and her response is below. It was just too good not to share with all Conga riders, past and present, supporters, and spirit riders. Vegas will be in Cheyenne this year!

Hi, Cynthia Izaguirre, WFAA Daybreak, Dallas,


Thank you so much for profiling the Conga III Ride for Breast Cancer. I'm sorry I can't be there with you tomorrow when you meet Cindy (TexasRed).

I know first hand what it is like to hear the words "You have Breast Cancer". I was diagnosed on October 20th, 2008, and having never been sick a day in my life I can tell you it was totally unexpected! Within three weeks of being diagnosed I had a biopsy followed by a mastectomy. I started chemo a month later (and no I don't look good bald! ha!) and finished chemo April 2, 2009. Those are dates I'll never forget.


During the 2009 Conga II run I can't tell you how much I wanted to join everyone - but was sidelined with treatment. I followed the Conga II every day, riding each mile with Flo as she crossed the USA . Her travels got me through my last month of treatment. This year I am riding ..... I am riding for the many wonderful women and men who are in treatment right now, I am riding for those that need funding to get treatment, and I am riding for those we have lost. Well all that and I really want to meet this Flo character I've known on-line at WWR for over three years! ha!


In 2009 One in Eight women had breast cancer.
By 2019 One in THREE are expected to have breast cancer.
Breast cancer also affects men.


My story is just one of millions. Mine has a happy ending. Please do what you can to support the Conga III. The Conga may pale in comparison to many of the large cancer fund-raisers, but this is a group of women motorcycle riders who aim to make a difference AND have a great time doing it. And, you know what happens when you get a bunch of determined women together! ha! Stuff Happens!


Thanks again for your time and effort to profile and promote the Conga III. Every dollar raised will make a HUGE difference in research and treatment. Let's make this a nightmare our children won't have to deal with.


PS - If you see a bunch of women on motorcycles decked out in Pink - you'll know it is the Conga heading through to Kick Cancer to the Curb! Join us if you can..... we aim to have a mighty good time!

Regards,


Debbie Payne
Houston , TX
1-year Survivor!

No comments: