Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 3 of the NTX Conga

 Today, leaving out of Amarillo, the temperature was 65 degrees. Nice break from the 100 degree days we've been surviving in NTX. I actually put on my long underwear and was comfortable. It was a beautiful day and the loop took me right to 287 without much traffic. Arrived Dumas, then Dalhart, then Clayton under clear skies and cool temps. I couldn't pull into a pit stop without more bikes pulling in as well. Met some great folks!
 Clayton to Raton was mostly under construction, 55 mph, but mostly uneventful.  The only vinyl sucker was when I came over a hill to meet a pair of headlights passing an 18-wheeler and the 10 cars following it. I forced him to make a decision and luckily we all went on our way. Upon arrival on Raton, lunch and a long break was in order. After all, we had Raton Pass to get ready to deal with.
 The Pass turned out to be uneventful, but on down the road was another story. Light rain turned to heavy rain. Easy enough to deal with, but when I was hit in the chest by a piece of hail, it was time to find a spot. Yeah, right! In the middle of a long lonely stretch. I looked up a few miles later and saw the old familiar gas station sigh. There was nothing else around, no town, no other business, just the God-sent gas station complete with attendant and hot coffee. I pulled under the overhang in front, which was away from the pumps. When I came out of the bathroom there were three other bikes who had pulled off the freeway and done the same. After the wait it was back on the road.
 After the hail there was only wind, not because of the storm. I mean there were actualy signs warning of the "gusty" winds. I mean actual state approved yellow signs about the wind stating that wind was "likely". They were right, the wind was strong, gusting, and unmerciful.
 I'm proud to say that tonight I'm staying just north of Colorado Springs. Tomorrow, Cheyenne!
Conga, Conga, CONGA!
TRC

2 comments:

c said...

Cindy,

Great to hear you have had a safe ride!! Can't wait to see your pictures. Ride safe.
Storm

TexasRedC said...

Thanks! We are all having trouble downloading pics. Frustating because we know that folks back home are wanting to join us in spirit. Will get them posted when we can.